PART TIME DIRECTOR, NORTHEAST MS HEALTH ALLIANCE
*This is a part time position with the potential to become full time.
Reports to: President
The Health Alliance Director contributes to achieving the mission and vision of United Way of Northeast Mississippi (UWNEMS) by providing community and organizational leadership related to health and wellness issues affecting our eight-county service area. This position will help develop and oversee our work in this area through strategic collaboration, education, and advocacy efforts and will include targeted partnerships to
meet and exceed overall program goals.
The Health Alliance Director will have expertise in multiple areas of health and wellness and will serve as the main point of contact for this program. The Director will interface with numerous community and corporate leaders, as well as public, private and nonprofit partners in this role.
In addition, the Director will serve as an evaluation expert, and will take the lead on the development and oversight of an evaluation plan for the Health Alliance overall, and in each goal area that is established.
The Director responsibilities may include, and are not limited to, the following:
- Establish and lead the UWNEMS Health Alliance and help to engage or build upon health expertise with our volunteer leadership
- Convene and facilitate meetings with local health stakeholders to establish health goals, and identify collaboration opportunities
- Develop and oversee an evaluation plan for the Health Alliance overall and in each goal area.
- Identify, implement and manage new health partnerships
- Serve as UWNEMS representative on all appropriate boards and/or committees relevant to health goals, and represent UWNEMS at all appropriate health sector meetings, conferences and forums
- In partnership with UWNEMS Communications Department, develop health position papers, reports or summaries as needed
- Serve as in-house “expert,” ensure the collection, review and communication of health data and trends
- Work collaboratively with other United Way-led Collations and develop mutual strategies for reaching the most vulnerable communities
- Assist the UWNEMS Communication and Donor Engagement Departments by providing compelling health statistics and Alliance related health outcomes
- Work with the UWNEMS Communication /Marketing department to increase public knowledge and awareness of health challenges and solutions
- Partner with key UWNEMS departments and other UWNEMS Coalition Directors to develop a portfolio of volunteer, advocacy, and giving opportunities in support of health goals
- Ensure continued awareness of best practices and trends in the health arena throughout the country via participation in relevant webinars and trainings, and apply best practices to Alliance work where appropriate
- Help implement workplace giving campaigns by assisting campaign staff and by speaking to employee
- Help conduct programs of outreach for donors through T-shirt distribution (or similar activities)
- Assist in building relationships to discover individual/corporate giving interests and grant opportunities
- Work with campaign directors and other staff to maximize giving growth through a focused, ongoing,
year-round emphasis on retaining our current donor base and developing new business opportunities
within the workplace campaign and beyond
- Assist with fundraising activities as directed including special events
- A passion for leading and creating collaborative partnerships to impact the health goals of our region
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and strategic community partnerships
- Knowledge of the landscape and dynamics of health service providers, advocates and policy-makers in
Northeast Mississippi (including the public, private and nonprofit sectors)
- Knowledge of local, state-wide and national best-practice programs, trends and models relevant to the
health goals established
- Knowledge of health research, policy, and practice, including social determinants of health
- Desire to increase access to multiple areas of health care for all residents in our eight-county service area
- Experience developing, implementing and evaluating program models in partnership with UWNEMS staff
- Experience managing and leading community collaborations, including the ability to facilitate
conversations and manage conflict if needed to reach shared community solutions
- Experience in successfully managing a team of volunteers to achieve desired objectives
- Strong writing and verbal skills with the ability to influence others
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to “tell the story” of need and
collaborative solutions to gain support from varied and changing constituencies including staff,
community representatives, and volunteers
- Ability to work independently, making appropriate decisions with direction as needed
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities, and manage and
meet multiple deadlines
- Initiative and strong work ethic
- Flexibility and ability to manage issues and crises calmly and effectively
- Diplomacy and ability to represent United Way of Northeast Mississippi in a professional manner
- Ability to seek out and apply for relevant grants under the direction of and in partnership with UWNEMS
Professional Requirements and Behavioral Expectations
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in health-related field and at least five years of related employment in the
public health or community-based health arenas.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills; Comprehensive knowledge and experience working with
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and database software
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and organization skills required.
- Documented capacity to develop and play a leadership role in strategic partnerships with a broad range
of working relationships with opinion leaders/change-makers across community, philanthropic, business
and government sectors.
- Represent UWNEMS positively, professionally, courteously and effectively; Demonstrated ability to
work with diverse interests and communities; energetic and engaging personality, enjoy working with
people in different settings; donor and community focused.
- Assists or takes on new tasks to help UWNEMS achieve its mission; Willingness to learn; Willing to
work nights, weekends or early hours when necessary
- Adheres to the ethical standards described in the UWNEMS Code of Ethics; Maintains confidentiality
regarding personnel and organizational information.
- Reliable personal transportation and proper insurance coverage.